There are a number of myths around lung cancer; many of which add to the ‘stigma’ of the disease. Click on the flashcards below to see the facts behind the fiction…
More about lung cancer
- 1. NHS. Causes of lung cancer. Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of-the-lung/Pages/Causes.aspx
- 2. Cancer Research UK. Risks and causes. Available from: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/lung-cancer/risks-causes
- 3. Kvale PA. Chest. 2006 Jan;129(1 Suppl):147S-153S.
- 4. Cancer Research UK. Symptoms. Available from: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/lung-cancer/symptoms
- 5. Yang,P. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Feb;32(1):10–21.
- 6. Wong J, et al. Current Oncology. 2008;15(5):25–45
- 7. GLOBOCAN. [Internet, cited 2017 May 11] Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_cancer.aspx
- 8. American Cancer Society Key Statistics for Lung Cancer. Available from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/small-cell-lung-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-symptoms.html
- 9. Cancer Research UK. About lung cancer. Available from: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/lung-cancer/stages-types-grades/types
- 10. NHS. Treatments. Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of-the-lung/Pages/Treatment.aspx
- 11. SEER. Factsheet. Available from: https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/lungb.html
- 12. Cancer Research Institute. What Makes Immunotherapy a Promising Treatment for Lung Cancer? Available from: https://www.cancerresearch.org/we-are-cri/home/cancer-types/lung-cancer